UAB Medicine News
UAB Cardiovascular Institute Earns Quality and Performance Awards for 2021
The UAB Cardiovascular Institute (CVI) is again the recipient of awards for quality and performance. For 2021, three national organizations that evaluate and spotlight high-performing hospitals and health systems recognized the UAB CVI in various categories of achievement.
Healthgrades Specialty Clinical Quality Awards for Cardiac Care and Cardiac Surgery
The Healthgrades program evaluates hospital quality with regard to conditions and procedures based solely on clinical outcomes. Its analysis is based on more than 45 million Medicare medical claims records and other select data from nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide. Healthgrades “America’s Best Hospitals™” consistently exhibit exceptional, comprehensive, and quality care.
Healthgrades recognized the UAB CVI in the following areas:
- Best Specialty
- One of Healthgrades’ America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care™ for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- One of Healthgrades’ America's 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery™ for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Cardiac Conditions
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Care Excellence Award™ for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award™ for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Cardiac Services for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery for 5 years in a row (2017-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 4 years in a row (2018-2021)
- Vascular Conditions
- Five-Star Recipient for Repair of Abdominal Aorta in 2021
- Critical Care
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism in 2021
Watson Health 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals
The UAB CVI also was recognized as one of the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals 2021, an award in the Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals® national benchmarks series. This represents the second consecutive year that the UAB CVI received this recognition.
For more than 25 years, the 100 Top Hospitals program has been producing annual, quantitative studies to identify top performers and deliver insights to help health care organizations better focus their improvement initiatives on achieving sustainable high performance. The program recognizes hospitals that demonstrate the highest performance in hospital cardiovascular services for four important condition/treatment areas: heart attack, heart failure, coronary artery bypass graft, and percutaneous coronary intervention.
Women’s Choice Award for Heart Care
The UAB CVI also received the 2021 America’s Best Hospitals designation from Women’s Choice Award, representing the top 10% of hospital practices across the country. This award is based on outstanding achievements in clinical excellence and patient experience and satisfaction.
In determining its America’s Best Hospitals list, Women’s Choice Award uses the most recent publicly available information from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, as well as accreditation information and surveys from thousands of women to determine which measures are most important to them.
Click here to learn more about cardiovascular care at UAB Medicine, COVID-19 safety policies, and clinic visits using UAB eMedicine telehealth services.
Adulting 101: Transitioning from Pediatric to Adult Health Care
Dry January: How 31 Days of Sobriety Can Improve Health and Well-Being
Seasonal Affective Disorder Isn’t Just a Case of the Holiday Blues
BINGO... New Year, New Ways to Improve Your Heart
Kirklin named inaugural recipient of the PHTS Lifetime Achievement Award